Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Becoming all things to all men

I was going through the attic looking for school books for this coming homeschool year.  I have boxes and boxes of homeschool books.  Some dating back to our first years.  School books are a major monetary investment so I try to purchase things that can be handed down from one child to the next.  (As long as I don't forget where I put them.)

I came across a booklet from the Sonlight Curriculum, "The Kingdom Strikes Back".  It's a short look at how "events" (some not so pleasant) in history, aided in the Great Commission to spread the gospel to all tribes and tongues. 

This booklet picked up right where Brother Andrew's biography left off.  The books we have been reading have given us a renewed interest/energy in evangelism and discipleship.  I'm not sure where this is leading but it sure seems to me that God has given our family reading time a "theme".  My family's workplaces, colleges, and friendships have all taken on a new meaning with new opportunities to "Go share the love."

One section of the booklet quoted the apostle Paul and I had to look up the Bible verses in their entirety.

1 Corinthians 9:22  The Message (MSG)


 19-23Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm not prepping for a school year this year....at least not in that way. We are going to head to LBC and have a chat with them very soon. Somebody found classes that looked GOOD to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having themed reading! :)

    By the way, that Math 5 of Teaching Textbooks is mine...I am loosing it big time! :(

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are gearing up for a new school year as well. If all goes well, we will begin on Monday. We are familiar with "The Kingdom Strikes Back" as well. Good books are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete