Monday, May 9, 2011

Continuing our history studies

I don't know when we'll be "done" with school this year.  I think we will just keep going....I'm kidding here...the kids would have a fit....but...There are so many things I wanted to do with them and just haven't had the time.

We finished up our study on WWII with a movie from Netflix, "Hiroshima:  BBC History of World War II".  This graphic, fact-filled movie opened up lots of questions and started lots of discussions.  Which is exactly what homeschooling is all about, sharing your feelings and thoughts; laying out the way God's Word says to look at things and how different the world looks at things....AND most importantly how to DISCERN the difference. (Was that a run-on sentence or what?)

Dying without Christ became one of the big topics of our history discussion...not exactly a discussion that would happen in the public school but definitely in our little "schoolhouse".
The question was asked..."Mom, why does it bother me so?...all those people died without Christ."
My heart leaps for joy as I see God working in their minds and hearts.

Our history lessons tend to be filled with the "whys" and "hows" and with less "dates" and "times"....
We have started to read "God's Smuggler" by Brother Andrew with John and Elizabeth Sherrill. 
God's Smuggler: 35th Anniversary Edition   -     
        By: Brother Andrew, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
This book is taking us from WWII into the present day.  This true-life story (thriller) has my boys begging me to read just one more chapter.  I should have known this book was going to be a winner.  Every book I have read, written by John and Elizabeth Sherrill, has been "life-changing" for me.  God has put their books in my path at just the right time in my life.  Times when I was curious and questioning things...to times when I needed to repent.
I first heard of John and Elizabeth Sherrill when I was reading one of Catherine Marshall's books.  Catherine and the Sherrills were friends.  So when I came across a book with the Sherrills as the authors...it was as if I already knew I would like the book. 
From the information I can gather...the Sherrills' are the founders of Chosen Books.
They authored and co-authored a number of best sellers...
"The Hiding Place" with Corrie ten Boom,  The Hiding Place     -     
        By: Corrie ten Boom
"The Cross and the Switchblade" with David Wilkerson, The Cross and the Switchblade, 45th Anniversary Edition
"God's Smuggler" with Brother Andrew, and "They Speak with Other Tongues" just to name a few. 
They Speak with Other Tongues, 40th ann. ed.  -     
        By: John Sherrill

3 comments:

  1. Did you hear that David Wilkerson was killed in a car accident recently?

    You are making me miss teaching my kids. Wow! All of those years of investing in their thought processes and sharing our beliefs. How quickly they are done. Enjoy it, dear friend. I love hearing about their questions and can tell that you are very successful in getting their attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard that. But David Wilkerson did die in a car accident. Here is the link - http://www.worldchallenge.org/about_david_wilkerson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that book about Brother Andrew years ago...it was good.

    This is why we homeschool - time to discuss heart issues in the midst of it all!

    ReplyDelete